Saturday, May 19, 2012

Chicken Coop Chicken Doors


My husband designed these chicken doors with a pulley system so I could open and close them without having to go into the chicken area.

Chicken Coop Chicken Door Pulley System

It is a fabulous system, as the chicken coop has an entrance area that is our supply and storage place, a foyer (or fwa.je if you will).  They are designed on a pulley system, and are very convenient.



Chicken Coop Chicken Door and Roosting Perches

He also designed a locking mechanism so the doors will not allow anything to push into the coop at night, nor can they be pulled open from the outside.  If you look closely, you can see about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the exterior trim overlapping into the opening.  This is what the door pushes against when the locking mechanism is in play.  Here is a close-up of the locking mechanism.

Chicken Coop Chicken Door Locking System

It takes just a little working with to get it to operate smoothly, but it is worth it in the end.  This is the entrance area (I like to call it a fwa.je just because I like the fancy sound), all my supplies will be stored in here, and up in the loft area.

Fwa.je of the Chicken Coop


Carpe diem, Lil and Bill

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I loved your inventive idea to open and lock the chicken coop. I've never personally owned my own coop, but if I ever do, I'll ask for instructions on how to do what you did! Very cool! You guys are awesome. I hope you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Everything seems ti be coming together nicely...now all you need are the chickens! :)

    Blessings,
    Michelle
    Flumgummerie-farm-nubians.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nancy! My husband is truly very talented! Be glad to help in any way we can if you decide to build a coop.

    Michelle, the chicks shipped on the 18th! Should be here today or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

We love reading your comments! Thanks for visiting!