Friday, September 27, 2013

Homemade Pumpkin Turmeric Soap!

Homemade Pumpkin Turmeric Soap!

I found this recipe in a book that was given to me by a dear friend. It's the beginning of the Fall season, and pumpkin is in the air, so I decided to adapt the recipe to accommodate my Fall musings. The book is called "Soapmaking The Natural Way" by Rebecca Ittner.  I love this book, I find it to be totally inspiring!

Now, on to the formula for this beautiful soap!  I used an Aloe and Olive Oil Melt and Pour soap base.  For the coloring, I used a blend of Red and Gold Mica Powder and Turmeric to get that beautiful spicy deep pumpkin color.  For the scent I used Pumpkin and Apple Pie Spice fragrance oils to get that warm, pumpkin, spicy fragrance.


We all know by now the benefits of Aloe and Olive Oil for the skin. I wrote about the wonderful benefits of Pumpkin in my post Homemade Foaming Pumpkin Salt Scrub.  But the benefits of Turmeric are well worth mentioning in this post:

     Turmeric - The list is long of skin care benefits associated with turmeric.  These include the treatment of acne, blackheads, dark spots and pigmentation.  Also included are other skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. Turmeric helps heal and prevent dry skin, helps to slow the skin aging process, and is used to diminish wrinkles, keep skin supple, and improve skin’s elasticity. Turmeric is often used by the East Indian's as a facial cleanser and an exfoliant.  It is also a natural antiseptic and can be used to treat minor burns and cuts.  The jury is still out on just how effective turmeric is for fighting cancer. Some health experts suggest that due to its anti-inflammatory benefits, based on the link between inflammation and the development of cancer, that it has cancer-fighting properties. Free radicals and cell damage are believed to be linked to cancer also, so if turmeric is able to work as an antioxidant, it is believed to have a secondary anti-cancer effect.

Therefore, I believe this soap to be very beneficial for your skin. So, why not get creative and make some soap!  Fill it with wonderful healthy products for your skin, and then enjoy YOU at your very best!

Carpe Diem! Lil and Bill

                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading your comments! Thanks for visiting!