Thursday, December 11, 2014

Building A Pergola For The Farm!



This project was started a couple of years ago.  We put down the 13' wide x 17' long patio, Bill planted the four corner posts, and built a fire pit. Then, life just sort of got in the way.  Finally, construction has begun again!  We just may have ourselves a pergola in a few short weeks if all goes according to plan.  Here's a picture of the patio stones, four corner posts and fire pit that were installed a couple years ago.

The beginning of the Pergola! 6/2012

We haven't landscaped the back of the house because we were planning to put in a deck that would go all the way across.  I think that plan may be reduced to a smaller, less aggressive plan including just one half of the back of the house. Some landscaping against the house behind the pergola, maybe lilacs and hydrangeas, would be nice.  I'm wanting to put wisteria on the four corner posts of the pergola.  I think it should be pretty.  Hopefully it will all grow for me.  Being a Florida girl, my green thumb turned a little brown when we moved here.  I'm still learning tho', and that's always a good thing.



Side support rails going up! 9/15/2014

Since Bill is building this all by himself, he needed to get creative in figuring out how to get these 2" x 10" x 12' boards 11 feet high and hold them there to bolt them in place.  A series of rope pulleys and clamps made it happen.  And there it is, looking perfectly level and plumb as designed.

Onward to level number one.  This part was very difficult working off ladders and scaffolding and working in between the less than 18" (17 9/16" to be precise) spacing.  I did a lot of holding ladders, holding my breath and praying! The spacing and alignment of the boards looks marvelous.  Now onward to the second layer of boards.  I'm hoping this layer is easier and less dangerous to complete.  Bill says that it is.  He will be over 12 feet off the ground while attaching the top boards.

First layer of pergola roof complete 11/13/2014!

And here I am, lending my support wherever needed.  Generally, as a ladder holder, hander-upper, catcher, cleaner-upper, and occasionally an overall OSHA enforcer!

Cleaning up for the day 11/13/2014!

Finally, the top layer of the roof is almost finished!  It was a little more difficult than we had thought.  I will be very glad when he is no longer crawling around 12 feet off the ground!  We are trying to decide whether or not to add an additional half roof of corrugated aluminum.  I'm of the opinion that it looks great just the way it is, Bill thinks it would be nicer with the additional roofing.  I don't know, I guess we'll look at it, and think on it, until Spring, then decide.

Second roof layer 11/21/2014

And, finally, after a whole lot of time, and a whole lot of work, our 16' wide x 12' long pergola is finished!  We purchased an iron hanging porch swing to install on one end.  Bill doesn't want to hang it until Spring.  I guess I can live with that. Until then, we'll use the glider that is falling apart!  I can picture us enjoying many afternoons swinging away, drinking sweet tea, while planning our next farm project.  Oh, the pleasures of retirement!

The Pergola Complete 11.22.2014


Carpe Diem! Lil and Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading your comments! Thanks for visiting!