Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Sewing With Sarah!

I just had the best few days spending some time with my two granddaughters, Sarah and Hannah.  Please humor me as I share some 'Grandmother's pride'.

When sweet Sarah, my favorite ten-year old granddaughter, first asked me if I could help her sew an apron, her first sewing project, I casually said, "Sure, we can do that".  I then began to reflect on how I needed to begin teaching this as she wanted to do it herself, but had never had any experience with sewing, or a sewing machine, before.  I said to my husband, "Oh dear, what have I gotten myself into?"

Sarah intensely working!

As I began to reflect on when and how I first learned to sew, a million years ago in Home Economics class in 9th grade, I wondered if I still have the patience and the 'know-how' to do this.  In addition, I haven't as much as looked at a sewing machine for at least ten years or more.  As I began to dissect the process, I formulated a plan.  Here's how I thought it would go:


  1. On Day 1 I thought we would learn how to read a pattern.  We would maybe learn how to lay out the fabric and pattern and get it pinned.
  2. On Day 2 we could cut out the pattern.
  3. On Day 3 we would begin learning how to use a sewing machine.  We would do some practice sewing on scraps.
  4. On Day 4 maybe we would begin sewing the apron.  (I figured this would take probably five or six days.)
  5. By Day 9 or 10, Sarah would be proudly wearing her very first sewing project as she does her magic whilst baking up goodies in the kitchen.

Sarah, love that smile!

In reality, here is how this remarkable child managed to master the sewing machine in mere moments.

Here's where we were before end of Day 2!

  1. On Day 1 she learned how to read a pattern; lay out the fabric and pattern, and pinned the pattern.  Then she cut out the entire project.
  2. On Day 2 she learned how to thread and operate the machine.  She did some practice stitching on scrap material.  She sewed the ric rac trim onto the top of the pockets; she sewed the bias tape all around the pockets; she then attached the pockets to the apron skirt; and she also sewed the bias tape onto the shoulder straps.
  3. On Day 3 she attached the shoulder straps to the apron body; she sewed the ric rac trim to the bodice of the apron; she made the waist ties and attached them; and she sewed the bias tape to the outside of the apron body.  
She finished the project in just three one-half days!
Hannah, and Sarah wearing her masterpiece!

I am so proud of her, she stuck with it until she was finished, and she was very happy that she did it.  And, I am so happy that I got to enjoy this experience with her. Her big sister Hannah, my favorite almost 12-year old granddaughter, was very proud of her too!  Now, that is a story of success!  Thank you Sarah for letting me be a part of your first sewing experience!  And yes, I'd love some of those salted peanut butter cookies you're baking up tomorrow!

I love my girls!


Carpe Diem! Lil and Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading your comments! Thanks for visiting!