Thursday, March 2, 2017

DIY Summer Feet Foot Balm is Back!

I'm re-blogging a previous post as Spring is just around the corner, which means us ladies will be breaking out those sandals once again.  When I first began constructing this formula, I found that it had a bit of a grainy texture.  It didn't affect the performance of the product, but it could feel unpleasant to some.  I have since learned how to avoid having that happen.  I won't bore you with the details, but it has to do with the shea butter being melted and cooled in a specific way.  This is a product that I use faithfully, and think you may want to give it a try.

Here's a quick note on how to easily use this product:  Get about a dime's size in the palm of your hand and rub hands together to emulsify, then apply to clean damp feet with a massaging motion. Step on a towel or mat for a moment, or put on a pair of socks or slippers, and your feet will thank you!

Summer Feet Foot Balm!

My niece asked me a few months ago if I had a product specifically for feet.  I did not at that time.  Which got me to thinking about how everyone loves my Cuticle Cream, and how I love the way it makes my cuticles, and lips, feel so soft and healthy.  Even though I regularly used a callus remover tool, my feet were not in great shape.  I refuse to wear sandals unless my feet look good.  Since I've had my hip replaced, the Doctor and the nurses suggested I stay away from getting pedicures at nail salons to avoid the chance of infection.  So, I decided to use my Cuticle Cream as a jumping off point, and see what I could do to make a great foot balm.

I am extremely pleased with the results.  I made it softer and easier to spread, and added some great essential oils to make those tired feet feel invigorated, renewed, and pampered.  The only thing I will do different next time is to blend just a bit better as I can feel that the oils and the harder butters and beeswax have separated a little. You can barely see the polka dots on the surface in the photos. Those areas are a little softer than the rest.  But, it all gets mixed up as you apply.
I've made a list of the ingredients for you and their respective properties.  This information was gleaned from the manufacturers, and/or other trusted internet sites such as WebMD and Wikipedia:
  • Coconut Oil - For skin it is a moisturizer, antibiotic, multivitamin, and has anti-aging, anti wrinkle and an anti-oxidant properties. Coconut Oil provides deep and real moisture. It helps strengthen underlying tissues and helps remove excessive dead cells on the skin's surface that makes your skin rough and flaky in texture, making it perfect for those dry, hard worked feet.
  • Shea Butter - The traditional use of Shea butter is to reduce the appearance of fine lines, stretch marks and scars, and to ease many skin irritations, such as psoriasis, eczema and sunburn. Shea Butter has anti-inflammatory properties, making it an excellent ingredient for your feet.
  • Cocoa Butter - is full of vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, C, and E. It has the ability to moisturize like no other.
  • Bees Wax - Bees wax improves the condition of skin.  It is totally nontoxic, and has superior healing properties. Beeswax is an excellent emollient and support for moisturizers.  It provides skin protective action which does not clog the pores. It is nonallergic, promotes elasticity, and has excellent staying power on the skin.
  • Jojoba Oil - is the miracle oil for softening the skin.  It is used to promote softer more supple skin, while being non-greasy. Jojoba oil is easily absorbed and promotes silky smooth skin. Jojoba oil will help to nourish your feet and prevent dryness. A fine penetrating odorless oil which has the consistency of a liquid wax, Jojoba Oil is stable and long lasting. It is a good conditioner for all skin types, especially mature skins.  It is most like the natural oil that our skin produces.
  • Sweet Almond Oil - has excellent penetrating qualities and good spread-ability on the skin, making it ideal as a massage oil or as a carrier oil for cosmetics and treatment products.

Summer Feet Foot Balm!

The following are essential oils and their properties and benefits:
  • Eucalyptus - Eucalyptus leaf is used for relieving osteoarthritis and joint pain, has anti-inflammatory and analgesic qualities. 
  • Peppermint - cools the skin and acts as a catalyst to other herbs.
  • Rosemary - helps with circulation and relaxes muscles.
  • Lavender - is effective in the relief of joint and muscle painaids in relaxation.
  • Camphor - used topically to increase local blood flow, it stimulates nerve endings that relieve symptoms of pain when applied topically.

Summer Feet Foot Balm!

Hey, don't laugh!  These are almost 66 year-old feet!  There's a lot of miles on these feet.  Yeah, no nail polish.  I draw the line there, at my age, I'll not be polishing my own toenails!  I've been using this balm on my feet for several weeks, and the results were so much better than I had hoped.  I saw major improvement after the first application, and it just keeps getting better and better.  If, right after applying, you stand on a bath mat or rug, it doesn't leave the bottom of your feet feeling oily or slippery, which is good as I go barefoot 99% of the time, they just feel soft, cool, and invigorated.  I had just applied after a shower in this photo. Perhaps the very best way to use is just before bed, and cover with light socks.  I, however, do not do that.  I'm a Florida girl and cannot stand socks on my feet.  I don't have a before picture, and I wouldn't have posted it if I did!  (Smile)  But, truly, the results are remarkable. Why not give it a try, your summer feet will thank you!

Carpe Diem! Lil and Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading your comments! Thanks for visiting!