Sunday, May 20, 2012

And Another Mystery Bird Nest!

Bird nest about 4" diameter with jelly bean sized eggs, blue with brown spots

On my post of May 9th I had a picture of a nest, about 6 inches in diameter, with blue eggs and brown spots, the eggs were about an inch long.  It turned out to be a mockingbird nest.  Here is a different nest with eggs that I found in our cherry tree, it's much smaller, about 4 inches in diameter, and the eggs are about the size of jelly beans, but they are also blue with brown spots.  I have seen the mommy bird, she is small like a sparrow, maybe smaller, and colored like a sparrow, but has a dark red stripe on her head.  I tried to find her on the internet, but have had no success.  Anyone know what she is?

Carpe diem, Lil and Bill

2 comments:

  1. Hi, we have the same type of nest with same momma bird. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what kind of bird is was as well. I do belive that it is a house finch. If you google for an image of house finch eggs there are quite a few pics that look exctly like the eggs in your nest. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I do believe you're right. I'm told they are purple house finches. We tried to be so very careful about not disturbing the nest, but the babies died for some reason. I hope you have better luck than us. It is just the most perfect little round nest, I've never seen such perfection in a nest before. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete

We love reading your comments! Thanks for visiting!