Thursday, March 20, 2014

DIY Horsetail Hand & Body Lotion!


DIY Horsetail Lotion!

I love trying out new things.  This is my latest hand and body lotion experiment, Horsetail butter.  I have very dry skin, I haven't always, but in my later years now, I am always reaching for a moisturizer. So, I'm constantly looking for something different, something better.


  • Horsetail Butter Blend  Horsetail is a plant. The above ground parts are used to make medicine. It is believed to contain the building blocks needed for collagen and elastin synthesis in the skin. Also thought to help rebuild and regenerate damaged skin cells.  According to WebMD, Horsetail can be applied directly to the skin to treat wounds and burns.  Because of its diuretic properties, I will be testing this lotion around my eyes to see how effective it is for puffiness.  In addition to Horsetail extract, this butter blend also contains almond oil and vegetable oil.
  • Jojoba Oil, Coconut Oil, and Grapeseed Oil, along with Glycerin and Aloe Vera, all combine to make this lotion a wonderful addition to your body care products.*
I used the original lotion formula for this product, simply substituting a variety of different oils and extracts for the ingredients.  

DIY Horsetail Lotion!

I love the light green color the horsetail adds to the product.  It's not showing up very well in these photographs, but it is a very light cool cucumber green color.  To enhance it slightly, I added a pinch or two of powdered basil leaves.  Because of the pretty light green color, I decided to use cucumber melon and green apple fragrance oils. Just let me say, right here and now, that I LOVE this brand new product.   

Carpe Diem! Lil and Bill


*As an added footnote, I have learned that any time you are using water (even distilled water) in a product, you should use a preservative.  I have found a very good preservative called Germall, when used at .1-.2% it works very well, and it is paraben free.

I resisted using preservatives for a while, but, I decided that it would be better to use them at such a low percentage, than to take the chance of using a moldy or bacteria laden product on my skin, or even worse, that of my customers.  I believe it to be the lesser of the two evils.

Of course, if any of my customers request that I do not add preservatives, I definitely would accommodate them.  It is always your choice.  But, with that said, I would also highly recommend that the product then be refrigerated to extend its life for as long as possible.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading your comments! Thanks for visiting!