Sunday, March 16, 2014

A New Mystery On The Farm!

Mysterious Tiny Chicken Egg?

While collecting the eggs and feeding the chickens today, I found this remarkably small egg in the nest with all the hens eggs.  It's just a tiny bit larger than the malted milk candy eggs you find in the stores around Easter.  The hens have four nesting boxes, but all fifteen of them share one favorite box, go figure.

I've had chickens for many years in the past, and I have no recollection of a seasoned hen laying a tiny egg.  This is their third laying season.  I have one hen that lays quite small very light brown eggs, that one is on the top layer of eggs just above the mystery egg in the top photo.  It looks white in that picture.

Chicken Egg Or Not?

The large egg in this photo is a fairly normal large size egg from one of our girls.  I can't imagine what else the tiny egg could be, the coop and run are quite secure, I don't know what else could have gotten in there, then hijacked the nest box to lay its egg.  It just isn't believable.  If anyone has any ideas on this, please leave them in the comments section.  I am quite intrigued.  Maybe some hens will do this from time to time, I'm certainly no expert on chickens, but I've never encountered it before.

My one concern is that I have a hen that is having a problem that could cause trouble.  If that is the case, I'm not sure how I would determine which of the girls it is.  They all appear to be happy and healthy at this point.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome!

Carpe Diem! Lil and Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love reading your comments! Thanks for visiting!